- To be the nexus of membrane science and technology activity in the Australasia region;
- To promote collaborative engagements across the community to disseminate membrane technology to end users; and
- To capture current research and industry involvement and highlight future trends.
The MSA is to represent Membrane Science and Technology in Australasia realising that this will be aligned with societal needs.
This will be achieved by:
- providing an open forum for transferring and sharing technologies as well as capabilities within the members, industries and high education organizations;
- supporting multidisciplinary networking events;
- providing leadership and mentorship in membrane science for the Australasian membrane community;
- promoting opportunities for young members; and
- and enabling wider understanding of the membrane technologies for public interest.
Prof. Tony Fane, University of New South Wales
Tony Fane is a Chemical Engineer with a PhD from Imperial College, London. He has been working on membranes since 1973 when he joined the University of New South Wales, in Sydney, Australia. His current interests are in membranes applied to environmental applications and the water cycle, with a focus on the sustainability aspects of membrane technology, including membrane bioreactors and reuse.
He is a former Director of the UNESCO Centre for Membrane Science and Technology at UNSW where he continues to work with colleagues. From 2002 to 2006 he was Temasek Professor at Nanyang Technological University, Singapore with a programme in Membrane Technology for Sustainable Water. He is currently Director of the Singapore Membrane Technology Centre at NTU; Tony divides his time between Sydney and Singapore.
He is on the Editorial Boards of the Journal of Membrane Science (a former editor from 1992 to 2005) and Desalination. He is a Fellow of the Australian Academy of Technological Sciences and Engineering, a recipient of the Centenary Medal in 2002 for services to Chemical Engineering and the Environment and an Honorary life member of the European Membrane Society. Tony has advocated the formation of an Australian society and strongly supports the Membrane Society of Australasia. He is honoured to be its Patron.
- Chair – Aaron Thornton, CSIRO
- Treasurer – Ludovic Dumee, Deakin University
- Secretary – Kristina Konstas, CSIRO
- Newsletter Co-Editor – Huanting Wang, Monash University, and Hokyong Shon, University of Technology Sydney
- Workshop/Support Coordinator – Hokyong Shon, UTS
- Workshop/Support Coordinator – Ken Morison, University of Canterbury
- Workshop/Support Coordinator – Pamela El’Jbeily, IXOM
- Travel Awards Coordinator – Greg Leslie, University of New South Wales
- Mentorship Coordinator – Amanda Ellis, Flinders University
- Strategic Relations – Peter Macintosh, Consultant
- Strategic Relations – Xiwang Zhang, Monash University
- New Zealand Representative – A/Prof. Ken Morison, University of Canterbury
- Webmaster – Dr David Uhlmann and Andrea Merenda
- Chief Newsletter Editor – Leonard Tijing, UTS
The MSA, as a company Limited by Guarantee, operates under rules contained in a Constitution. All members of MSA are required to formally acknowledge their agreement to abide by these rules which includes a clause limiting each members liability to $20 upon the winding-up of the Company.
- Membrane Society of Australasia
- CSIRO, Building New Horizons, Room 353
- Gate 4, Normanby Road
- Clayton, VIC 3168
- Chair: Dr Aaron Thornton
- Secretary: Dr Kristina Konstas